Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Provident Provider

Recently I have become a little preoccupied with
keeping things simple and eliminating
the dependence I feel on others.
Especially with the ideas of our weakening government,
failing economy and poor money decisions by large corporations.
(need I say more?)
When it comes to the prophet from my church telling
us members to have food storage and eliminate debt,
I've also started interpreting that as making
sure I can make things for myself.
Over the years I've tried to learn new skills.
Skills that can help me fend for myself.

Besides my parents starting me with the basics,
like gardening and cleaning and car repair.
Lately I've asked them and others to teach me things
like more cooking from scratch, crocheting, sewing, etc.

It has become freeing to know that even if things fail around me,
I'm still in control.

I can still grow myself some food.
Keep my car running.
Sew some clothes for my kids.
And now...
wash my clothes without spending $22 on liquid detergent!

With the help of the "Duggar Family"
and their spiffy little recipe,
I can now wash 180 loads of laundry for $2.

Refreshing isn't it!

With these few things...
Washing Soda, Fels-Naptha (or any bar soap)
and Borax (I used Oxi because I already had it).


Technically you're supposed to use a
5 gallon bucket,
BUT
I was improvising.
(hopefully soon I'll upgrade)

Here's my concoction.

If you'd like the recipe leave me your email address and I'll forward it to you.
The original recipe tells you to take these 5 gallons of soap
and mix it 1 for 1 with water.
But I'm beginning to think. WHY?


So let my independence begin.
No more needs for over-extended, poorly run large corporations for me!
(maybe.)

**note: want to keep your liquid detergent cup clean?
throw it in with your laundry and it will come out clean with the clothes!**

11 comments:

Amy said...

I'd love to have the recipe, Rach.
Also, what aisle and store did you find the washing soda in? I've been having trouble with that...

Sharron said...

Hi Rachel, I would love to have this. Someone in the ward was telling their daughter does it and it's the best soap they ever had. No stinking "fresh" or "clean" scents either. Hello, CLEAN DOES NOT SMELL!! smhuish@msn.com

The Jensen Family said...

Hey, send it to me! amanda2277@msn.com

Jess said...

What, no pics of the "before" and "after" clothes? :)

The Roberts Rollercoaster RIde said...

Washing soap can be hard to find. Don't try walmart they don't have it. Find a good stocked grocery store. It is usually next to the Borax/Oxi/etc.
Craziest thing....NO SCENT! Even though the Fels-naptha has a lemony scent that permeates your home. Cool, huh?!
Before and After shots to come! NO FEARS!! I will provide!

Michelle said...

Send it on to me, too. I am always on the lookout for "cheaper" as well.

Dave and Gina said...

I would love the recipe for that soap, thanks.

Gina
swimminfishie AT hotmail.com

Liz said...

Add me to your List, I'm intrigued.
lizwhitehorn@cox.net

Anonymous said...

Your mom wants the recipe too! Good Going, RAE RAE! We are proud of all you efforts!

Renee said...

I'd love the recipe but do you know if it works for the high efficiency washers (front loaders)? If I use regular detergent I get a nasty buildup inside the washer but with the H.E. versions...no gunk!

reneegriffiths@yahoo.com

Andrea said...

Send it to me too, always looking for a bargain that works!!